- New Cage Processing in Animal Facilities brochure
- FELASA signs pan-European statement supporting Directive 2010/63/EU
- FELASA Continuing Sponsorship Programme
- FELASA Statement on Animal Transportation
- FELASA Info-sheet new edition!
- The FELASA-ICLAS Liaison Body is a fact!
- The revised accreditation scheme for E&T is out!
- Two working group reports published
- 2010/63/EU - Consensus document on Non-Technical Project Summary
- FELASA continuing sponsorship programme
- FELASA collaboration on Cephalopods
- 2010/63/EU - First consensus document
- Strategic planning for research programmes
- Proceedings FELASA Congress 2010 are available for downloading
- Montreal declaration
- European Commission publishes report on experimental animals used in 2008
- Basel declaration defends animal research
- The European Directive - 2010/63/EU - is formally adopted
FELASA Statement on Animal Transportation
Posted on: 07-07-2015
The Federation of European Laboratory Animal Sciences Associations (FELASA) recognises the role played by the use of live animals in fundamental biological research and in the development of new medicines, vaccines and surgical procedures. Such use makes a major contribution to the wellbeing of both people and animals, and to the environment. To this end, FELASA recognises that the carefully regulated use of live animals in research and education is a necessary activity, in the absence of validated alternatives. Animals intended for scientific use are mostly purpose bred, either by those using them in their own research or by licensed breeders and transported by the breeder or a licensed supplier to the user institution. Animals and animal models are thus shared between institutions. Importantly, this avoids unnecessary breeding of animals and promotes the 3Rs of Replacement, Reduction and Refinement.
Domestic and international transport of animals is therefore essential to enable the production and sharing of animals in a responsible way for maintaining progress in advancing human and animal health, and protection of the environment. It is essential that any transport is conducted according to law, best practice and applying humane principles, thus assuring the safety and welfare of the animals.
Read official Statement here.